Welcome to Clay Center, Nebraska!
Clay Center is the county seat of Clay County and as of the 2010 census has a population of 760 and has a total area of 0.7 square miles. We are a small but proud community constantly working towards community betterment. We are located 24 miles southeast of Hastings or 25 miles south of Interstate 80.
Clay Center was laid out in the summer of 1879. An election on Nov. 4, 1879, confirmed Clay Center as the location for the Clay County seat following months of heated competition with rivals Sutton and Harvard. In February 1887 Clay Center became an incorporated village.
Industrial development began in 1903 when M.M. Johnson built a factory to manufacture "Old Trusty" poultry incubators and brooders that were sold nationwide. The factory provided employment for hundreds of local citizens. The Johnson Company established radio staion KMMJ in 1925 to promote its products, and the station made Clay Center a well-known and respected name in farm homes throughout the Midwest.
Clay Center experienced dramatic change in 1942 when a Naval Ammunition Depot was built just west of town to produce bombs and shells during World War II. This property was later transferred to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and has been disgnated by Congress as theh Roman L. Hruska U.S. Meat Animal Research Center.
City of Clay Center
PO Box 163
219 W Fairfield St
Clay Center, NE 68933
City Office Hours:
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.